Thursday, January 31, 2008

For Ivan

You know how some things just make your hormones go out of whack, just from looking at them?

Yeah, me too.

Pattern: Placket-Neck Pullover, by Joelle Hoverson from LMKG
Yarn: Cotton-Ease in Light Blue (2 Skeins) and Lime (1 Skein)
Needles: size 7 bamboo 24" circs and dpns


One of my mother's college roommates just adopted a 2 year old from Russia, named Ivan. I thought that the boy should have at least one handknit sweater, since I'm sure otherwise he would have to take guff from the uppity NYC babies. I also was entranced by the idea of a baby sweater. A sweater? A small one? Genius! I am yet too young for my friends (or me, for that matter) to be popping out kids, so welcoming Ivan to our crazy if loving extended family with a sweater seemed appropriate.
The pattern is wonderful - the only changes I made were to give it stripes and to not fasten the placket all the way. My brothers and I all had huge heads, so while I wish the best for the boy, I wanted to plan for all contingencies. I hope Ivan has a wonderful and warm first year here (and the rest of his life, for that matter.)

And me?


I recommend knitting baby sweaters. It really takes the edge off.


In other news, do these pictures look better? They were taken by our excellent Nikon D50, which I am in love with and will one day actually know how to use. And its not just great for handknits...


The noble California burrowing owl says hi.

No comments: